Click here to check out
The Kansas City Dog Advocates!

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Navel Gazing . . .

Every year I get this catalog from Heifer International. Heifer administers the giving of livestock and animal husbandry education to the needy world wide. Every year I read this catalog and think: “This year I’m gonna request my family and friends contribute to this organization rather than giving me stuff.” And every year I blow it. Not this year.

I am truly fortunate. I have a great wife, loving family, solid friends, pretty good health, advanced education and material abundance. In all respects, I am among the world’s luckiest people.

There’s a concept I learned about in college – noblesse oblige. It is defined as “benevolent, honorable behavior considered to be the responsibility of persons of high birth or rank.” I view it a bit more broadly as the obligation of the more fortunate to help the less fortunate. I’ve seen it played out by members of my own family (certainly not nobility, but capable of noble acts).

Most notably, I remember my father’s act of giving on a family trip to L.A. A rough looking young man stood outside a restaurant begging for food. While the rest of the family went inside to eat, my father took a second to speak to the man. Next thing I know, my father is walking in with the guy telling the waitress to give him whatever he wants to eat and send the check to us. I can’t recall if the guy sat with us or ate separately and it’s not important in the context of the story. My father explained that as a young man he’d been hungry himself and wanted to return the favors of the many folks who had helped him get a meal and a warm place to sleep. I think I was about 15 at the time of this event – I’m 37 now and I’ve never forgotten it and I never will.

Don’t get me wrong. I fully appreciate personal responsibility. I worked hard for what I’ve got and took advantage of luck when it shined on me. But I think it’s important to be humane, caring and open to helping those who really need it when you can.

So, this year I did it. I created a Heifer Gift Registry at http://www.heifer.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=edJRKQNiFiG&b=477011&sid=dmIVLcPRLgKVLfNZLrG. Everyone reading this should have gotten the e-mail asking you to give to this organization this year rather than getting me presents that will just collect dust in a closet somewhere. If you’re reading his and haven’t gotten that message, then go check out our (Carol and I) registry and consider making a contribution.

Enough navel gazing for one post.

2 Comments:

Blogger bloggrez said...

Crash ends flying vet's round-the-world trip
JULIAN RYALL A BRITISH aviator attempting to fly round the world in his vintage aircraft crash-landed in northern Japan yesterday.
Hey you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far, keep up the good job! A few days ago I was surfing the web and came across this cool site on Apply for loans online. It features all sorts of interesting information on Apply for loans online and makes it super easy to apply online. Now I know that people want fast services I recommend they visit Apply for loans online for quick and hassle-free service.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sings in the Sunshine said...

I love you. Yay for good people... thanks for being an awesome brother who continues to amaze me. :) What an excellent idea! Shoot... I´m so proud... I could almost cry. ;) I´m in...

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home