Click here to check out
The Kansas City Dog Advocates!

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Who’s Your Daddy? I Am!

A quick update. As most of you know by now, Carol is pregnant. She’s due May 25, 2006. We don’t yet know the baby’s sex, but soon will (if my parent’s various curses are correct – “I hope you have one just like yourself” – it’ll be a boy).

I am adjusting, but neither quickly nor easily. My first comment on seeing the “plus” sign on the EPT was “What does that mean?” Funny how you’re mouth fails to keep pace with your brain, right?

I have been told that I cannot refer to our soon-to-be bundle of joy as either: “bitch” (our pet name for Roxy and short-hand for female children) or “Focker” (our pet name for Perry and short-hand for male children). Instead I’ve adopted the name “Magrain” or “M’Grain,” but not “McGrain” (sorry, wife), to reference Carol’s comment when we first discussed its state of being that it was then the size of a grain of rice (my grain of rice, hence the moniker).

Our friends with kids keep telling us how “great” it is that we’re gonna join the club, but I think they secretly (and not so secretly, Drew) just want us to suffer like they have. It’s nice to have friends.

Roxy and Perry are currently oblivious to the change. We’ve discussed it with them. They seemed a bit put off at first asking “why do you need kids when you’ve got us,” “will you still take us to the park” and “is it dinner time yet?” Now, however, they just go about their business unperturbed by any sense of foreboding.

Magnet doesn’t care – she’s a cat after all.

Our parents seem shocked – I think they had given up on us. When we told Ramona and Chuck there was a second where I though Chuck might fall out of his seat (he didn’t). My mother repeated “Oh, Bob, that’s so wonderful” or a like derivative so many times I still can’t shake it. Our siblings are excited (see http://www.myspace.com/brettell, for an example). My brother fell into his normal (but reserved for special occasions) high-pitched squeal voice (I’ll leave it at that since he wants to be a politician someday; don’t ask why, that’s a whole other story). Steve (a.k.a. “Bardo”) was surprised – kinda like we would be if he ever said “I’m getting married.”).

So, there you have it. Nothing more to say, right? Stay tuned for updates. And keep Carol in your thoughts / prayers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sings in the Sunshine said...

Yayayayayayayay!!!! Carol, I'm praying for you... I heard you have nasty morning sickness... Blech. Every morning, around 7am Costa Rica time, I hope you feel my prayers... Love you both so much!!! Tell your little "grain of rice" baby that their aunt says hi! Ciao! :)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Philly Girl said...

Sorry I am late, but congrats on becoming a daddy. That almost seems surreal...

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home