Love Thy Neighbor? Hardly!
A few weeks back I read a headline that captured my attention. Printed in the Orlando Sentinel, it read “Arrest is First Under Homeless-Feeding Law.” My first thought was you’ve got to be kidding me – then I read the article (see http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/food/orl-homeless0507apr05,0,2602061.story?coll=orl-shoppinghg-headlinesinthek).
I’ve stated before on this very blog that I’m not a religious person – far from it. But I do think I have a moral compass; things seem right or wrong or somewhere in between. This one strikes me a just plain wrong.
Don’t misunderstand, I’m all for tourist destinations keeping things clean for me – who doesn’t want a family-friendly Las Vegas (see http://www.foodnotbombs.net/fnb_resists.html) or a squeaky-clean Mickey Mouse. But come on. When did it become in the public interest to withhold food from hungry people?
I spent the last few days of my professional life imploring people to walk a mile in another’s shoes to better serve their clients. I would ask the same of the folks passing and enforcing this legislation.
Have you ever been hungry? Have you ever not known where your next meal would come from? Have you ever slept under the stars because you didn’t have a home? To paraphrase a famous quote, citizens of Orlando, “at long last, have you no decency?”
I can honestly say that I’ve never been hungry – at least not on the same terms as these folks. That said, I know my mother and father struggled at times to put food on the table and took government assistance when they had to. Not too proud to feed your kids, I imagine.
I have read the posts on the Sentinels website pro and con. I remain unconvinced that this is other than wrong . . . and cruel.
Walk a mile in their shoes before calling the needy “scum” and “filth.” Walk a mile in their shoes before arresting those with the compassion to feed hungry people. Walk a mile in their shoes before trumpeting your own hard work and their laziness. Walk a mile in their shoes before you settle down in your warm house with your full belly.
A few weeks back I read a headline that captured my attention. Printed in the Orlando Sentinel, it read “Arrest is First Under Homeless-Feeding Law.” My first thought was you’ve got to be kidding me – then I read the article (see http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/food/orl-homeless0507apr05,0,2602061.story?coll=orl-shoppinghg-headlinesinthek).
I’ve stated before on this very blog that I’m not a religious person – far from it. But I do think I have a moral compass; things seem right or wrong or somewhere in between. This one strikes me a just plain wrong.
Don’t misunderstand, I’m all for tourist destinations keeping things clean for me – who doesn’t want a family-friendly Las Vegas (see http://www.foodnotbombs.net/fnb_resists.html) or a squeaky-clean Mickey Mouse. But come on. When did it become in the public interest to withhold food from hungry people?
I spent the last few days of my professional life imploring people to walk a mile in another’s shoes to better serve their clients. I would ask the same of the folks passing and enforcing this legislation.
Have you ever been hungry? Have you ever not known where your next meal would come from? Have you ever slept under the stars because you didn’t have a home? To paraphrase a famous quote, citizens of Orlando, “at long last, have you no decency?”
I can honestly say that I’ve never been hungry – at least not on the same terms as these folks. That said, I know my mother and father struggled at times to put food on the table and took government assistance when they had to. Not too proud to feed your kids, I imagine.
I have read the posts on the Sentinels website pro and con. I remain unconvinced that this is other than wrong . . . and cruel.
Walk a mile in their shoes before calling the needy “scum” and “filth.” Walk a mile in their shoes before arresting those with the compassion to feed hungry people. Walk a mile in their shoes before trumpeting your own hard work and their laziness. Walk a mile in their shoes before you settle down in your warm house with your full belly.

1 Comments:
I love and admire your compassion. And I fully agree... it's as they've lost their vision. I bet the people who complained about the homeless taking over the park have never had a decent conversation with any of them... it seems it was simply out of fear... and fear is a sad motivation to do anything... Well said, brother. I echo your sentiments.
Post a Comment
<< Home